While BSE(Bombay Stock Exchange) Ltd is now synonymous with Dalal Street, it was not always so. The first location of the earliest stock broker meetings in the 1850s was in a much more natural setting — under banyan trees — in front of the Town Hall, where Horniman Circle is now situated. A decade later, the brokers moved their location to another leafy setting, this time under banyan trees at the junction of Meadows Street and what then called Esplanade Road, now Mahatma Gandhi Road. With a rapid increase in the number of brokers, they had to shift places repeatedly. At last, in 1874, the brokers found a permanent location, the one that they could call their own. The new place was, aptly, called Dalal Street (Brokers’ Street).